As the Assistant Specialist, you will assist in the coordination of the Children’s Oral Health Initiative (COHI) program to support oral health and wellness for children living on-reserve (in community). In this position you will train community workers to serve as COHI aides; train and orient new oral health providers; visit communities to provide support to providers and to monitor the program. When required you will also provide direct dental hygiene services to select COHI communities.
* Trains and provides feedback and support to providers (Dental Therapists and Dental Hygienists); and provides information on appropriate standards of practice and competencies to deliver COHI Program activities.
* Trains and provides feedback and support to local community workers (COHI Aides) who provide basic oral health education and fluoride varnish services. Maintains a list of all COHI team members (providers and Aides), including members’ unique identifier numbers.
* Reviews data on service delivery by COHI Program team members to provide support and build on skills and successes.
* Visits communities as needed to provide feedback and support to program team members and community stakeholders.
* Coordinates yearly parent kit order for the program; provides administrative support services to the COHI program, such as product and supply recommendations, registering providers, monitoring community population numbers, assisting with funding calculations, and preparing documentation.
* Participates and provides input at planning and program meetings.
* Maintains close contact and communication with COHI Aides in a culturally safe manner to support effective delivery of the program.
* Develops and maintains effective working relationships with healthcare professionals, community leaders and members, and other stakeholders.
* Creates and updates fact sheets and other training materials and resources as needed.
* Delivers oral health promotion and disease prevention messages in the form of individual and group instruction or formal presentations to audiences such as mothers, nurses, community workers, intermediary caregivers, teachers, community groups, and children.
* Provides dental hygiene services including screenings, debridement, fluoride treatments, preventative dental sealants, Interim Stabilization Therapy, referrals, and oral health instruction to individuals by maintaining and using dental equipment of a permanent and portable nature, and arranging and scheduling community visits.
* Performs other related duties as assigned
* Diploma from a recognized Dental Hygiene program or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
* Full registration (365 Exempt category) with the College of Dental Hygienists of British Columbia (CDHBC).
* Current valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and willing to provide drivers’ abstract.
* Three (3) years of clinical experience as a dental hygienist
* Experience working with office productivity software (Microsoft Office suite of products - Word Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
* Experience working in dental public health programs is an
Employee Class: Permanent
Application Deadline: June 19, 2019 at 4:00pm