Literacy Outreach Coordinator (Contract Position)
The Literacy Outreach Coordinator provides leadership in building and enhancing literacy services, programs and networks
within the Renfrew Collingwood neighbourhood.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Promote the importance of literacy and lifelong learning to all residents including adults, seniors, new immigrants and non-
English speaking residents while developing capacity in the community and facilitating sustainably-run programs.
• Provide support to existing literacy groups and classes at Collingwood Neighbourhood House and in the community
• Provide strategic direction and develop programs as appropriate
• Provide committee and community development support to the Renfrew-Collingwood Literacy Committee
• Organize and coordinate Committee meetings
• Work with the Literacy Committee, identified Renfrew-Collingwood community literacy partners and other contractors to
implement Literacy Plan in Renfrew-Collingwood.
• Attend any scheduled Literacy Outreach Coordinator meetings
• Submit two stories per year on Renfrew-Collingwood literacy activities to the Renfrew-Collingwood Community News
• Provide necessary information and documentation required by Decoda Literacy Solutions including annual Literacy Report.
• Complete the evaluation of the literacy project.
• Experience in community development and/or community planning processes
• Knowledge and understanding of literacy and community-based planning processes, and understanding of capacity-building
• Proven ability to work independently, facilitate groups, organize and manage projects
• Experience in leading inclusive community processes
• Experience in community outreach and working with intercultural groups
• Ability to work collaboratively to develop and maintain community partnerships
• Good interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
• Strong computer, organizational and problem-solving skills
• Knowledge of the Renfrew-Collingwood neighbourhood is an asset
• Second language representative of the Renfrew-Collingwood neighbourhood is an asset
This is a part-time contract position at four hours (flexible and subject to growth) per week with a starting hourly wage
of $25.72 (subject to improvement).
This is a contract position starting May 2019 - March 2020 with possibility of extension based on funding and project