Job Title : Comunity Relations Staff
Company Name : Port of Vancouver
Job Location : Canada Place
How To Apply: Submit your answer to the activity below, along with cover letter, resume and proof of current student enrollment to Cindy Chen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer Employment: Port of Vancouver Community Relations Staff
Do you want to work in an environment with talented people to represent Canada’s largest port and one of Vancouver’s iconic landmarks? Join our team and connect with your potential.
The Port of Vancouver is Canada’s largest and most diversified port, and the third largest tonnage port in North America. The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority is responsible for facilitating Canada’s trade with more than 170 world economics by managing the federal land and waters at the Port of Vancouver. We oversee the efficient and reliable movement of goods and passengers, and integrate environmental, social and economic sustainability initiatives into all areas of operations at the Port of Vancouver.
Located in the heart of Vancouver’s waterfront, Canada Place is an iconic landmark and venue for world-class events and inspirationally Canadian experiences. Canada Place is home port to the Vancouver-Alaska cruise, and houses Vancouver Convention Centre East, Pan Pacific Hotel, FlyOver Canada, World Trade Centre and West Park. Canada Place is a port experience, owned and operated by the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority.
We are seeking several highly motivated post-secondary students to represent the Port of Vancouver and/or Canada Place as part of the community outreach team.
In this role, you will:
• Work closely with up to seven other post-secondary students as ambassadors for the Port of Vancouver by implementing our outreach activities at community events across the Lower Mainland, primarily held on weekends and/or support Canada Place events and activities.
• Promote the Port of Vancouver with an interactive promotional tent at over 80 external community events throughout the Lower Mainland, including the Vancouver International Children’s Festival, Surrey Fusion Festival and Santa Claus Parade.
• Assist in planning and preparing for attendance at community events; including liaising with the event manager, packing event materials and scheduling volunteer students and our mascot, Salty.
• Provide guest service and promote the Port of Vancouver on-site at Canada Place through daily walking tours, experiential tent and guest engagement, and at Canada Place events
• Activate and engage with guests inside the port’s Discovery Centre.
• Assist with event execution including planning, activating, setup and tear down.
• Provide ongoing support to high school students taking part in our volunteer Leadership Program.
• Promote community relations work through the use of social media.
• Provide a variety of PowerPoint presentations about the history, business and environmental efforts at the Port of Vancouver to visiting groups at the port’s Discovery Centre in Vancouver. As well as attend select presentations offsite.
• Conduct Burrard Inlet harbour and Fraser River boat tours for a variety of groups.
• Assist at conferences, receptions and special events including setting up displays and organizing collateral materials.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
To apply for this position, you must be a full-time student who has completed at least one year of post-secondary education with plans to return to your studies in the fall semester in 2019. You also must be available to attend the mandatory training from April 29-May 10.
As the successful candidate, you are an outgoing person with an excellent command of the English language, along with exceptional interpersonal, presentation and teamwork skills. You are enthusiastic, outgoing, customer service oriented, reliable and a team player who is willing to roll up your sleeves to get the job done. Previous experience in customer service, events or promotion work, knowledge of a second language and a class 5 driver’s license is an asset.
NORMAL HOURS OF WORK: Averaging approx. 30 to 35 hours per week, including evenings and weekends. Occasional overtime.
DURATION: Approximately April 29/19 to Sept 3/19, in addition to the ability to work one to two shifts per week from September to December 2019 & January to April 2020 is an asset.
RATE OF PAY: $20.90 per hour
If we have accurately captured your profile above, please complete the activity below and submit it, along with your cover letter, resume and proof of current student enrollment, by January 25, 2019 to Cindy Chen, Human Resources Analyst at email@example.com.
ACTIVITY: In the most creative and interesting way you can think of tell us a little bit about yourself and answer the following question: “as Canada’s largest port, our mission is to enable Canada’s trade objectives, ensuring safety, environmental protection and consideration for local communities. Our vision is to be the world’s most sustainable port. What does sustainability in Canada mean to you.”?
We want to see how you will become a great ambassador for the Port of Vancouver, and positively engage with the public. Please convey your answer in video format, and remember to have fun with your response. Please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about the Port of Vancouver, the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority and Canada Place:
• Visit our website: portvancouver.com and canadaplace.ca
• Check us out online
• Watch our YouTube channel
The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority is dedicated to employment equity and a workplace reflective of the diversity of our community.