Job Title : Building Custodian, Sereena's Housing for Women
Company Name : Atira Women's Resource Society
How To Apply: Expressions of interest, including an updated resume and a cover letter describing how you meet or exceed the above-noted qualifications, must be received by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off to 201-190 Alexander Street before the deadline noted above; Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered. Candidates who lack the basic experience and qualifications as set out in the posting will not be considered. Please go to atira.bc.ca/careers for a current list of postings.
Internal and External Posting
Building Custodian, Sereena’s Housing for Women
Tuesday through Saturday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
$17.59, plus a generous benefits and leave program, paid by employer
By noon on Tuesday, May 22nd, 2018
An exciting opportunity exists for a Building Custodian at Sereena’s Housing for Women, a program of Atira Women's Resource Society. We offer a challenging and rewarding work environment for women passionate about the work of ending violence against women and children. Understanding the dynamics of violence against women and children within the context of intersectional feminism and being able to apply this understanding in your day-to-day practice is mandatory.
Completion of a recognized Building Services Worker certificate program is required for this position. Maintenance skills and experience is an asset. Experience working with women affected by violence and who may also be struggling with substance use and or mental wellness, poverty, episodic or chronic homelessness and who face multiple barriers to securing safe, affordable long-term housing. Must have a well-developed analysis of the ongoing effects of colonization and the resulting impact on First Nations, Métis and Inuit women; must understand and be at ease working within a harm reduction environment.
- Performs cleaning duties such as: washing and cleaning floors and carpets;
- Cleaning bathrooms, kitchens and room doors in common areas;
- Cleaning stairwells; disposing of refuge; cleaning windows; dusting and polishing furniture and fixtures;
- Maintaining the cleanliness of the grounds;
- Reports any damage and/or problems in the building to the Program Manager;
- May be asked to clean vacant rooms.
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to work under pressure while managing multiple concurrent issues;
- Ability to manage stress (self-care);
- Ability to be respectful of residents;
- Ability to work in cooperation with co-workers;
- Ability to give & receive constructive criticism;
- Ability to make decisions in times of crisis, ability to work independently;
- Demonstrated ability to organize and carry out work with independence;
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively under general supervision;
- Ability to work effectively with program staff and residents;
- Ability to operate heavy industrial grade cleaning equipment;
This position requires the physical ability necessary to carry out heavy cleaning responsibilities. The building custodian is regularly exposed to and in direct contact with dust, dirt, fumes, cleaning and other chemicals, germs and human waste. Completion of a recognized Building Services Worker Certificate is required.
- WHIMIS certificate is required
- Ability to fulfill the physical demands of the job
- All positions are subject to a criminal records review