Are you a skilled DBA with the ability to implement and manage DB2, SQL, and other databases? You’ll assist the manager of Database Services to ensure the integrity of databases, lead and coordinate the work of project teams, and resolve complex technical database problems encountered by DBAs and developers.
Your role will be instrumental on a team that ensures data is available and secure for users across our organization – Presenting the opportunity to advance your skills with exposure to supporting various mission applications like our Claims Management System and involvement in performance tuning of our mission critical applications.
What you’ll do
As a database administrator you will:
- Coordinate and lead teams for large projects which could involve conversions, data design, and database implementation
- Ensure project plans and estimates are reasonable, and ensure project resources are assigned, scheduled, controlled, and executed according to plan
- Resolve complex technical database problems encountered by DBAs or developers
- Assume responsibility for enabling data sharing across divisions through design, construction, and implementation of corporate data structures
- Ensures the Data Resource Manager is developed in accordance with database design and administration standards and coordinates database conversions in large projects involving database structures, conversion programs, jobs, and implementation plans
- Assume responsibility for the design and maintenance of test database environments for application development and be the liaison between application program developers and systems support specialists
- Develop quality assurance standards, guidelines, and procedures for the department and ensure conformance to these and division-wide standards
- Develop and implement a variety of database design and performance tuning standards and procedures and ensure adherence to the procedures
- Keep abreast of business and technology advancements and new IT directions
- Maintain system/cost efficiency and develop project proposals as necessary
Is this a good fit for you?
We’re looking for someone who can:
- Use excellent communication skills to write documents and verbally explain a variety of technical information to audiences of varying levels of understanding, to provide direction or share knowledge
- Establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with individuals, teams, and diverse groups at various levels of the organization using an objective and diplomatic manner
- Recognize opportunities for improvement by identifying potential or existing problems, and determine and evaluate alternative options and implement an appropriate solutions
- Lead by example and accept responsibility for your actions and decisions and the actions of those you guide
- Identify, organize, and prioritize a multitude of diverse and competing assignments in an atmosphere of frequent interruptions and changing requirements
- Work in a technically heterogeneous environment (e.g., z/OS, Linux, Unix, Windows)
- Stay current with trends and technology
Your experience and educational background:
- A diploma in a computer science related field
- A minimum of five years of experience as a database administrator
- IBM DB2 and Microsoft SQL Server certifications are an asset
- Specialized knowledge of the ability to implement and manage DB2, SQL Server, and other databases
- Specialized knowledge of DBMS architecture
- Working knowledge of data modeling and database design at an advanced level
- Working knowledge of multi-tiered application architectures
- Working knowledge of system architecture (e.g., z/OS, Linux, Unix, Windows)
- Working knowledge of optimal methods of manipulating required data
- Working knowledge of object oriented programming and script writing
- General knowledge of data replication techniques and processes
- General knowledge of cloud computing platforms (e.g., SaaS, IaaS or PaaS)
Who are we?
At WorkSafeBC, we’re dedicated to promoting safe and healthy workplaces across B.C. We partner with workers and employers to save lives and prevent injury, disease, and disability. When work-related injuries or diseases occur, we provide compensation, and support injured workers in their recovery, rehabilitation, and safe return to work. We also work diligently to sustain our workers compensation system for today and future generations. We’re honoured to serve the almost 2.3 million workers and 210,000 employers in our province.
What’s it like to work at WorkSafeBC?
It’s challenging, stimulating, and hugely rewarding. Our positions offer tremendous diversity and excellent opportunities for professional growth. Every day, the work we do impacts people and changes lives. What we do is important and so are the people we do it for.
Being part of WorkSafeBC means being part of a strong, committed team. Along with a competitive salary, your total compensation package may include vacation, optional leave arrangements, health care and dental benefits, and contributions toward your retirement pension. As a member of our team, you'll have access to services and benefits that can help you get the most out of work — and life. Learn more about what we offer.
We’re an inclusive and accessible employer, committed to employment equity objectives, and we invite applications from all qualified individuals. Please note that this position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
Visit www.worksafebc.com and select Careers to submit a resume and cover letter that details your characteristics, accomplishments, and prior work experience related to the requirements for the position. We can only accept applications submitted through our website.
Thank you, in advance, for applying. Unfortunately, we’re only able to contact those whose applications we will be pursuing further.